Monday, January 28, 2008

Several someones I love are currently overseas. Where once I had to wait for postcards and the rare crackly phone call, I can now check their blog daily, look at photos from and read about today's adventures.
It's wonderful to have that sense of immediacy; reduces the loneliness.

Has anyone else seen the Anonymous Youtube postings attacking the Church of Scientology? It's an amazing case of viral marketing that has stirred up mass media comment and a hornets nest on the internet. Whether this is indeed a coordinated campaign, or simply one person stirring the meme-world to see what it happening, it shows how quickly a snappy catch-cry and funky visuals can grab the Web 2.0 world's attention. Puts a whole new spin on the idea of rabble rousing.
While I don't see library-related issues being presented in such a stirring way, it is an interesting study of how new media and forms of narrative develop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... I might have thought that too once, but after seeing Peter Lor's presentation at VALA last Tuesday afternoon, I'm much more conscious about how politicised an issue library service provision has become.