Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Google maps

I can see this being useful at the Service Desk. It's not uncommon for someone to ask for directions to a nearby address because their friend lives there, or they have a job interview etc. I wanted to visit the Borders bookshop in Camberwell Junction so I used that as a fake "reference request." I asked for directions from the John St, Hawthorn campus address to Porter Street. Google Maps would work well if you knew the start and end addresses. I could also get driving instructions from John St to "Lilydale" but couldn't drill down in more detail until I told it to look for Melba Ave.

Hmm. I have to drive out to a country town next week. I think I'll see what it recommends... Nope. Couldn't find the town. Looks like I need to stick closer to the city and suburbs.

No comments: